New steel bascule bridge to replace existing structure managed by General Contractor PCL Constructors Westcoast Inc. Unique design challenges include use of orthotropic steel deck, a ring-and-truss geometry, expanded pedestrian usage, and exclusion of exposed structural bolted connections. The owner is Victoria City, BC and the fabricator is ZTSS, China.
Atema engineers reviewed specification and design drawings, fabrication plans, and shop drawings to ensure dual code compliance and general constructability. The bridge will satisfy both AASHTO/AWS and CWB/CSA requirements.
To address the challenges of overseas fabrication, Atema developed and implemented the Contractor’s Inspection & Test Plan (ITP), write and implemented a Quality Oversight Plan and utilized a network of technical consulting spanning North America and Asia.
Atema assembled a quality team of certified inspectors, technical manager, and technical interpreters. Onsite responsibilities included;
- Guiding fabrication mock-ups
- Monitoring welding qualification
- Witnessing rigorous material sampling and inspection
- Performing fabrication verification testing
- Assisting in non-conformance identification and resolution
The new bridge will serve the community for the next 100 years. It will provide improved safety and accessibility for cyclists, pedestrians, and people who use mobility aids.
City of Victoria British Columbia, Canada
PCL Constructors Westcoast Inc.
Jiangsu Zhongtai Bridge Steel Structure Co., Ltd. (ZTSS)
15 Tongkang Road, Jingjiang, Jiangsu Province, China 214521
February 2013 – August 2017
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Fabricator and GC Services
- Technical & Design Consultation
- Assist with pre-fabrication mock- ups
- Phased fabrication planning
- Welder and Procedure Qualification Witnessing
- CWI Inspection & Code Compliance
- Quality Assurance Oversight
- Direct executive management assistance with general contractor