- State of Missouri Board of Engineers, Professional Engineer, #027548
- State of Michigan Bureau of Professional Licensing, Professional Engineer #6201070367
- State of Minnesota Board of Architecture, Engineering, Land Survey, Landscape Architecture, Geoscience, Interior Design, Professional Engineer #58320
- SSPC BCI Level 1 #29496 (Former)
- AWS Certified Welding Inspector – #20013491
- ASQ Certified Quality Auditor – #71463
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Missouri
- United States Naval Academy– Ocean Engineering
- AASHTO/AWS D1.5 Bridge Welding Code
Kent Nelson came to Atema after 28 years with the Missouri Department of Transportation. Starting as a Structural Designer and working his way up to Fabrication Operations Engineer. Kent had experience at every level of the bridge design and construction process.
As their Fabrication Operations Engineer, he managed a staff of inspectors traveling throughout the United States conducting quality assurance inspections of steel products used on highway bridges in the state of Missouri. Kent supervised the quality assurance inspection of over 16 long span steel bridges including plate girder, tied arch, truss, and cable-stayed structures. He oversaw the shop drawing review and processing program for all types of structures including fabricated steel, concrete, retaining walls, and sign structures. Additionally, he provided technical support to design staff and field personnel regarding steel fabrication and coating processes. He was a voting member on the AASHTO/AWS D1.5 Bridge Welding Code Committee from 2008 until August 2019 and continues as an advisor to the committee.
Since arriving at Atema, Kent’s knowledge and experience in the DOT world has provided tremendous insight to our Atema clients, making him a valuable addition to our team.